Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hey, who supersized my emotions???

I am reading a book by Patsy Clairmont titled "I second that emotion. Untangling our zany feelings". If you have ever heard Patsy speak or read any of her books you know that you will be entertained. She is about 90 lbs of fire! The title attracted me to the book.


In the introduction she says " I don't remember ordering an extra large wad of rubber-band emotions at the take-out window of life, but, honey, I've got 'em! No wonder I sometimes snarl and snap at folks; it's all those elastic knots inside me. This isn't a new condition for me, but menopause hasn't exactly enhanced the situation. Instead, it has added, ahem, emotional dynamics that my family claims I didn't need. I took that as a compliment. I thought that by the time a woman reached my age, she pretty much had her emotion cinched in. Don't get me wrong, I've improved. Honest. Les, my husband of forty-five years, is still alive, and that
s proof I'm doing better (just kidding...sorta). The poor guy has had his hands full, dealing in the past with my radical reactions and now my hot-flashing hormones. I came to understand that life is constantly pressing our buttons because people, circumstances, changes, hormonal shifts, and our emotions (his too) combine to make us a work in progress.

Man, that hit me right on the head (minus the menopause stuff). How true is that that people, circumstances, and our emotions press our buttons constantly. At times I let my emotions get the best of me. I have done better but there are still those days when I could snap, and then I have to give myself a little talking and say Listen you, this is stupid, get back on track and contain yourself. That is hard at times.

There are a few issues that I am very passionate about. My kids and family are the main thing, and there are times when I feel that I need to step up and control a situation if I feel that they are being done a disservice too, when many times I let my mouth overload my brain. I should learn to just stop and let happen what may, and then if I need to pick up the pieces I can. I have been working on this.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter. We had a very busy weekend, and we are tired but we get to start all over in the morning. Have a great week. I am excited for this week. My older sister will be going on the Walk to Emmaus this week and I am pumped for it!!


No comments: