Thursday, October 30, 2008

Papaw





It has been a beautiful day. With it has come a flooding of memories of my Papaw. He passed away 17 years ago today. I cannot believe it has been 17 years.




With these memories bring sadness and happiness. He was my only grandparent that I have ever had. I spent a lot of time with him and loved every minute of it. I was 15 when he passed away, one month before my 16th birthday.



He was in WWII and was awarded a purple heart. He was wounded, shot in the leg. I remember when we would go to his house we always wanted him to show us the hole in the leg. He was my first hero. Often times I spent the night with him, I was the only grandchild that would. It was funny, he would cough in the night and get up and make me take cough syrup.



I remember he always had those ceramic lawn animals in his house. He loved frozen pies, and watching Smokey & the Bandit and Green Acres. He was quite a special man. I miss him terribly. I do not know where he was in his spiritual life. I just have hope that one day I will be with him in heaven.



Halloween has never much been the same for me since he passed, but I will always have me memories of the time I had with him.

2 comments:

beckiwoodsmall said...

God is just and merciful. You know that Daddy was a baptized believer. After he was baptized he told me that he was ready to go home. So yes, you will see him in heaven!!
He was not perfect ( I think he was very close ) and made mistakes but I know his heart was in the right place!!
I miss him terribly, his laugh, and the way he would go off and forget his cane. I think I inherited most of my social skills from him :) And so did you!!!!!
God gently ushered him home many years ago today and I know he smiles down on us. He will be there waiting for all of us.
Love you,
Mom

Christy said...

Thanks Mom!! =)