Thursday, October 9, 2008

Are you Religious??

I cannot stand that question! I know my Ya Ya's know this. Ed came home from work yesterday and said a guy used his phone and upon returning it asked Ed is he was 'Religious" to which Ed replied; No, I go to church and try to live my life right and the way God would have me to. Don't you go to church?? The guy said yes but didn't quite get it.




I asked Ed why he even asked that in the first place and he said because of his background on his phone. See the photo below!


















Then it made sense to me as to why he asked "the question"




To me it comes down to Religion vs. Relationship. The Law vs. Grace. I think at one time or another most of us have been guilty of getting into tradition or the law of the church instead of a heart relationship with Jesus Christ.





How does this come about?? Is it instantaneous or does it develop over time? I think it can be both. We are all human and struggle to not live of the world. It is a daily struggle. One that we have to make DAILY. It is too easy to go about your day being "mad at the world". It is just too easy!!






2 Corinthians 5: 11-17


11 Because we understand our fearful responsibility to the Lord, we work hard to persuade others. God knows we are sincere, and I hope you know this, too.

12 Are we commending ourselves to you again? No, we are giving you a reason to be proud of us, so you can answer those who brag about having a spectacular ministry rather than having a sincere heart.

13 If it seems we are crazy, it is to bring glory to God. And if we are in our right minds, it is for your benefit.

14 Either way, Christ’s love controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life.

15 He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.

16 So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now!

17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!





Which do you have?? Religion or Relationship??

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Definitely a relationship!

But I never get upset with someone who asks me if I'm religious. THEY don't understand the difference between religious and relationship. They just know that how I feel is different, DEEPER, than what they feel. So, they point it out.

I just smile and say something like, "I'm WAY MORE than religious." Their question is actually a good 'let' for to evangelizing/discipling/ministering.