Friday, May 23, 2008

S.W.A.T.



Well, today was the last day of my training this quarter. We had active shooter ALL day long. In years' past the Law Enforcement approach to an active shooter was to set up a perimeter and wait. Needless to say, since there has been so many school shootings etc.. tactics have changed. Now, the tactic is to get in the building and get to the source of the shooting.
Look at the picture above and stick a helmet on them, that is what I wore today for around 4 hours. It is VERY taxing to wear this very long. It is hot, uncomfortable, and hard to move in. So, we get to the building where the "active shooter" was. I was to be the first person in the door.... hmmmm. I think they threw me under the bus. The point man usually takes the most rounds. This building had a smoke machine going, so it was hard to see. There were "bad guys", victims, and others in the building. We didn't know what we were facing other than an active shooter. So, we get in the building, heard gun shots upstairs, get up there and encounter a suspect. We got him down and got to the victims. All in all, it went pretty good.
I must say it felt good, the adrenaline was pumping. I went from a team member to a team leader to the ASAP Commander. I kicked butt, the other leaders froze basically so I was put in charge. After it was all over they were laughing because when we encountered gunfire the point man on the front of my team after we merged wanted to stop. I was literally pushing him down the hall to get to the source. They were like man, Christy was wanting to get to the action. Now, mind you I knew we had soft aerosol guns, they sting but it's nothing like a bullet so I think that was part of the reason I went charging in.
I don't care for training but today was good, exhausting but good.
I had to come home and take a nap! Anyway, we have to get ready for honors night so I'm signing off for now.
Have a good night!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

You go girl! You never cease to amaze me. Love Ya!!

beckiwoodsmall said...

You really work with a bunch of wooses (I don't know if that's the right spelling,lol). When it comes to taking charge they are more than willing to let you! It must come from the Woodsmall side, haha. They liked to fight!!
Anyway, I'm proud of all you have accomplished.
Love ya,
Mom

Lauren said...

wow. can I come to work with you someday? Far more exciting than Campus Life...

Christy said...

Come on Lauren, I would actually love to see all my friends do it... what a blast. I am figuring we could have them talked to death and they wouldn't want to shoot us or maybe they would.... lol I'm not sure I LIKE to fight Mama...just had a job to do. Men!! Hmph!

Unknown said...

I always knew you had it in ya. I have actually experienced it in my youth!! (I did NOT pick you in the mouth!!!)

Christy said...

Whatever... you SO did pick me in the mouth!! I was bleeding all ove the floor and the ONLY thing Dad sais was "You're getting blood on the floor"! Forget about my mouth but don't dirty the floor... lol

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.