Friday, April 24, 2009

Take up your cross.....

Luke 9:23-26
(New Living Translation)  

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed? 26 If anyone is ashamed of me and my message, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in his glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels.


That is the verse I sent out to the teens today. I also forwarded it to my Ya Ya's. It is a daily reminder that we must CHOOSE to live out lives for God. It's daily friends!


I also read this verse today: Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile & their foolosh hearts were darkened.


Whoa!


How many times do we get wrapped up in out busy lives & "forget" to give God thanks. Far too many I am sure. However, we have to learn to make this a daily practice even on those really hairy days when we just don't feel like it. Too often instead of looking to God as the Creator & sustainer of life we see ourselves as the center of the universe. We soon invent "Gods" that are convenient projections of our own selfish plans. They can be anything such as television, money, cell phones (well crap), power, people (who doesn't do this?), alcohol, cigerettes, cars. I could go on & on but I think you get the picture! The common thread is that idolaters worship the things God made rather than God himself. Hmmmmm.... Guilty?!?!


Is there anything you feel that you cannot live without? Any priority greater than God? Is there a dream you would sacrifice everything to realize? Does God take first place?


These are all things I struggle with on a daily basis & I'd dare say I'm not the only one. You know the sweet thing though? God can help us to over come these issues. Talk to him, he is always ready to listen.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Pooh on the soap box! I think it is a great blog! And I do believe I feel my toes being stepped on a wee bit:)

Unknown said...

in the immortal words of lauren biggs.....


dang it.

Christy said...

That is why my dear friend Susan, this post came with a disclaimer to the Ya Ya's cause I stepped on my own toes too!!