Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Seasons of Storms








Have you ever noticed just when things get going good and looking up you get bombarded in a season of storms that you think might not ever end??




I have several friends right now that are just going through a rough patch, I don't just mean one friend but several. I find at times not knowing what to say to encourage them but have learned that sometimes all we need to do is just be there for them. Whether that means offer advice or mainly just to listen.




Listening is the most important communication skill in my opinion. Often times my mouth overloads my brain, as I have often said before, and I don't hear a thing someone is trying to tell me. Then I wonder, was I really that insensitive to what was going on in their life??? We as a generation are a selfish people. Thinking only of ourselves, wanting more for us, wanting to make us happy no matter what the cost. How sad is that???




I am in the book of Psalms for my read through the Bible in a year we are doing at church and I found one the other day that was good, and I want to share it with you so that maybe it will give you hope and comfort in whatever storm you might be facing.




Psalm 130


1 From the depths of despair, O Lord, I call for your help.


2 Hear my cry, O Lord. Pay attention to my prayer.


3 Lord, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive?


4 But you offer forgiveness, that we might learn to fear you.


5 I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word.


6 I long for the Lord more than sentries long for the dawn, yes, more than sentries long for the dawn.



7 O Israel, hope in the Lord; for with the Lord there is unfailing love. His redemption overflows.


8 He himself will redeem Israel from every kind of sin.





In the depths of despair this writer cried out to God. Despair makes us feel isolated and distant from God, but this is when we need God most. Despair over sin should not lead to self-pity, causing us to think more about ourselves than God. Instead, it should lead to confession and then to God's mercy, forgiveness, and redemption. When we feel overwhelmed by a problem, feeling sorry for ourselves will only increase feelings of hopelessness, but crying out to God will turn our attention to the only One who can really hope.




I don't know what you might be facing right now in your life but look to God for your strength!!



No comments: