Friday, June 20, 2008

Gnats, Locusts, and Bug Spray!




I don't know about you but the gnats shave been terrible this year. I can't hardly stand outside at work without being attacked with a swarm of them. Not to mention how aggressive they are and they bite!! I have tried bug spray and that doesn't seem to work however, we are in Indy this weekend, (I am typing from our hotel room) and the little pesty things are just not as bad up here or at least I didn't notice them at the ballpark today.



Anyway, it got me to thinking. Can you even imagine what it must have been like to be living when God sent the plague of locusts?? I cannot fathom it at all. I know that God had hardened their hearts and that in turn they endured many plagues, but the bugs....can you imagine?? And to think they didn't have bug spray. We are a lucky people to be born in the country that we were and in the time period. I know that in years past it was a simpler life and sometimes wish we lived in the "Little House on the Prairie" days but I think I'll just stay where I am.



I am attaching the passage from Exodus 10 on the plague of locusts. Try to imagine it.


12 And the LORD said to Moses, "Stretch out your hand over Egypt so that locusts will swarm over the land and devour everything growing in the fields, everything left by the hail."

13 So Moses stretched out his staff over Egypt, and the LORD made an east wind blow across the land all that day and all that night. By morning the wind had brought the locusts;

14 they invaded all Egypt and settled down in every area of the country in great numbers. Never before had there been such a plague of locusts, nor will there ever be again.

15 They covered all the ground until it was black. They devoured all that was left after the hail—everything growing in the fields and the fruit on the trees. Nothing green remained on tree or plant in all the land of Egypt.

16 Pharaoh quickly summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "I have sinned against the LORD your God and against you.

17 Now forgive my sin once more and pray to the LORD your God to take this deadly plague away from me."

18 Moses then left Pharaoh and prayed to the LORD.

19 And the LORD changed the wind to a very strong west wind, which caught up the locusts and carried them into the Red Sea. Not a locust was left anywhere in Egypt.

20 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let the Israelites go.

No comments: