Monday, July 27, 2009

The "ugly" word

Cancer.... that is the word you don't want to hear if it hits close to home. About 9 years ago we first heard "that" word with Ed's step-mother Martha. She practically raised Ed and was just a wonderful, wonderful woman. She had a very aggressive type of a brain tumor. Most brain tumors happen from cancer being somewhere else in your body. With Martha it was never determined where the other area was at. I will never forget those 18 months that she battled this horrible disease as it was probably the worst thing we have ever experienced.



Richard and Martha had just moved to Oklahoma when shortly after they found out she had cancer. This devastated Richard, he didn't not handle it at all. We were taking trips to Oklahoma about every other month to help out as best we could. I can remember how fast this disease crippled Martha's body, and to be quite honest with you I don' think about it much because it took me to a place I don't ever want to go back to. You see, we handled it well throughout the 18 months but after she passed it hit me in a way I do not want to remember. I went into a deep depression and honestly I don' know how Ed ever lived with me. I'm sure it was a combination of exhaustion and worry. I can remember going to the hospital and sitting and reading the Bible to Martha while all she could do was lay there. She was a very spiritual person and this was the first time I was introduced to the Rosary. She would recite it with me laying next to her.



So, you can imagine what I felt when her daughter, Lana called yesterday to tell us she has colon cancer. You see Lana is a nurse, she probably studied Cancer more than any of us did. She is very optimistic and the diagnosis so far seems pretty good. Today and tomorrow will be crucial days in figuring out her treatment plan. I know she would appreciate any prayers that you would offer up for her, her husband and her 2 grown boys.

But I also know how HUGE my God is. No matter the outcome with what Cancer does to a person God's grace is the same. It is a hard thing to get through but I cannot imagine anyone going through it without relying on God.

Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)

28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."




1 comment:

Keyly Watts said...

In times like this I find the words to "Footprints" running through my mind. "C" is such a ugly, worldly creature. Thank God for His strength in times like this!