Monday, March 9, 2009

Wind, Earthquake, Fire and Whisper

1 Kings 19:11-13 (New International Version)

11 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 


God shows up in the small things not necessarily in the big, busy things around us.


"Be still & know that I am God".


Are you being still?

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Why does this scripture pop up everywhere I look?

Leslie said...

I LOVE that scripture.

Be still.
Be still and KNOW.
Be still and know that *I* am God.

beckiwoodsmall said...

Yes, I think God is trying to get a message out to us!! It has become my favorite scripture since he told me (not audibly but in my spirit)during a very trying time to just "Be still and know that I am God"! Why are we so uncomfortable with stillness? Could it be that when we are still we are faced with ourselves and our guilt?

insitu said...

All you ever get in a postmodern world is noise. And so stillness (and this text) is as refreshing as ever. But Elijah wasn't exactly on a Spiritual high leading up to this. Perhaps this visual will be a blessing to you?
In Christ,
Harold