Thursday, February 26, 2009

This was my Upper Room devotional for today, it was too good not to use.



Today's Scripture

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
-1 John 4:78 (NIV)


AFTER a mediocre football season, I heard a quarterback say about his team, "We are better than our record." I thought about how that phrase applies to my life.

I realized that if God looked only at my record, God would see the hurtful things I said, the wrong decisions I made, and the sins I committed. I would be condemned. However, "God is love" and doesn't keep a ledger of my performance.

It comforts me to know that God loves me and sent Jesus into the world to die and to be raised for me. As we believe in Jesus Christ and repent of our wrongdoing, God forgives us and transforms us into something better than our record. We become heirs to all God's blessings.
Kenneth Decker (Kentucky, USA)
Prayer
God, thank you for giving us a savior, Jesus Christ, and for loving us in spite of our transgressions. As Jesus taught us we pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."*


Thought for the Day

In God's eyes, each one of us is better than our record.

Prayer Focus

Those overwhelmed by guilt