Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ash Wednesday service & Appalachian Mountains

Last night we attended the Ash Wednesday service at church. It was a great service, to steal from my friend Leslie's blog; There is a reason why we have our heads marked with a cross of ashes on this day. In the bible, a mark on the forehead is a symbol of a person's ownership. By having our foreheads marked with the sign of the cross, it's a symbol that we belong to Jesus Christ, who died on a cross.It is also an imitation of the spiritual mark that is put on a Christian at baptism.The reason that ashes are used is because they are a biblical symbol of mourning and penance. They also symbolize death and remind us of our mortality. In fact, when the priest crosses our foreheads with ashes, he says, "Remember, man, that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return."

I think this a great reminder that we are a chosen people. I LOVE Easter, it is by far my favorite holiday!!!

Few people know this but Ed has a passion for the Appalachian people. He has felt a strong calling to minister in that area (which I think is AWESOME, as I have a passion for missions). Anyway, we are taking the kids in 2 weeks & going to the Appalachian Mountains to visit Red Bird Mission. I cannot wait. We want to see what we can do to serve & help out. I pray that God leads us where he feels we are needed.

Please keep this trip in your prayers. Thanks!!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

you guys are going to be such a dynamic ministry team in Appalachia. I will remember you in my prayers!!