Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Peace

I heard a message today from John McCarthur on one of my favorite verses that has meant so much to my life.


John 14:27 Peace I give to you, my peace I leave with you. I do not give as the world gives. Let not your heart be troubled.


For many years I have struggled with anxiety & anger. At one point many years ago I was on Paxil for it. I was on it for about a year & to be quite honestly I felt ok, sometimes a little too numb. I went off the medicine & turned into a very bitter & angry person. Many times I heard about the peace of God. Often I thought yea yea..blah blah.


So it was fitting that when I made my Walk to Emmaus (after a few years of Tami's persistence, thanks Tami!) that the theme verse was John 14:27. I have been in church all my life but I just didn't "get it" a lot of the time. I honestly do not know how Ed lived with me. I am sure I wasn't pleasent to be around.


I can say that God has blessed me with His peace that passes ALL understanding. I know it was an offer all along but I was too stubborn to let him in. I wanted to do it all by myself. I was a big girl right?!?!


Well I miserably failed. The good thing is that God doesn't give us what we deserve. Jesus took it all for us when he laid his life down on Calvary.

Now there are times when I feel the knot in my stomach & feel it all crashing down but in those times I know that all I need to do it give it to God.


I am very thankful today to not be the person I was years ago.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

That verse is on my mom's gravestone so when I go visit her grave, it's what I see.


That was my idea for a reason.

beckiwoodsmall said...

You kept it hid very well, you've never been bitter or hateful with me!

Leslie said...

Amen, sista! I regularly have to remind myself that if I want peace, it's there. I just have to realize it.

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing... i can sooooooooooo identify

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

Popped over for "That Girl".. Isn't it funny how we make peace such an elusive commodity? Thanks for sharing!