Monday, August 25, 2008

Can people change?

Tonight is our weekly meeting of the Ya Ya's. We are doing a Bible study. It is Max Lucado's 3:16. It has been good so far. We will have a new person joining us tonight. It is kind of a funny story, but definitely a God thing.




This person has had some struggles in her life and I have to admit I have judged her harshly here lately. Then I had a tugging at my heart strings that I may have been wrong. So, I called her up one day and we talked for a while. I found out that she is really trying hard to change her life around and I realized how mean and unforgiving people can be especially when we have done things in our pasts that aren't exactly righteous. It would be hard to try to start over in a small town where everyone knows you. I talked to a couple of my Ya-Ya's and asked forgiveness for the way I had thought of her. They both said they understood and they couldn't imagine what she was going through. So, I invited her to our study tonight. I am sure it will go well, we have all gone through things but we have moved forward and are trying to learn together.




It got me to thinking that we all have to repent to move forward but we cannot do it on our own. It isn't possible, God has to help us. It says if we go to him he will remove our sins as far as the East is from the West. God wants us to have an abundant life, but he wants us to have life through him.




Does this mean we won't ever sin? Nope, that isn't possible either. However, we can get up each morning and strive to do what is right.



2 comments:

Susan Warren said...

I believe that it is a great thing that you and others are giving this person encouragement. As you said, we have all done things in our past that aren't exactly righteous. I know I have, and I would hate to think that those things were held against me and the person I have become.

Mark 11:25(NIV)

25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

Christy said...

Thanks for the confirmation Susan!!