Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ninevah

So everyday I have been reading scriptures & journaling them as well as parts of the commentary on them. Today I had several to read & almost skipped some of them (I know, I know) but this is what I read:

Jonah 3:3-10 (New International Version)  
3 Jonah obeyed the word of the LORD and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very important city—a visit required three days. 4 On the first day, Jonah started into the city. He proclaimed: "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned." 5 The Ninevites believed God. They declared a fast, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.  6 When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust. 7 Then he issued a proclamation in Nineveh:"By the decree of the king and his nobles: Do not let any man or beast, herd or flock, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. 8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence. 9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish."  10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened.

The commentary says: God's word is for everyone. Despite the wickedness of the Ninevite people they were open to God's message & repented immediately. If we simply proclaim what we know about God we may be surprised at how many will listen.

God responded in mercy by canceling his threatened punishment. God had said that any nation on which he had pronounced judgment would be saved if they repented. The purpose of God's judgment is correction, not revenge. He is always ready to show compassion to anyone willing to seek Him!!

As I was reading this I was texting with one of my dear friends Susan. She & I almost always daily share scripture or struggles. I've told her & along with us I feel that God is moving in big way to prepare us for something but along with the Jones' concerning out church. As I think about it I have seen God take the Ya Ya's so much more deep with Him. I feel that He is preparing His church for His returning. After I finished writing in my notebook I turned my Bible & it opened to Mark. Now I'm not one to say "ok God show me what you want me to see" & flip my Bible open & it be this big prophetic message for me BUT today as I turned my Bible it opened to Mark 13:32-37. I'm not going to quote it to you. I want YOU to go read it for yourself BUT I can say this was my comfirmation from Him. I LOVE it when he does that. You are an awesome God!!!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I love God mornings:)

Andrea said...

Ditto!

Unknown said...

man... i DON'T want to be caught asleep! Praise the LORD for His Word!