Monday, June 8, 2009

Living the life

I was listening to the radio this morning and Dr. David Jeremiah said that there was a poll taken asking why people didn't witness more. The #1 answer was because of how they were living their lives.



That got me to thinking about how hard it can be to witness especially when people know your past and the things you have done wrong. But on the flip side of that, God spoke to me and said it doesn't matter what your past was, I have forgiven you and you pledged your allegiance to me.



Many times in my life it has been my reaction to things that has been ungodly. I have never really handled reactions well. As a matter of fact just this past week I got mad at Ed, not once but twice. I haven't been that mad in a while and you know what it was stupid. I was driving to Andrea's house Friday night for a cookout and I was so mad... I felt that anger creeping back in and you know what it felt good to be mad. I don't like that part of me and usually anymore I can tell when it happens and I can stop it. This time it overwhelmed me and it took me a while to calm down. I felt I "deserved" to be mad. Well, I was wrong. I needed to learn to control my reaction. This is something I have been really working on and for the most part I have done well but there are times every now and then I slip up, but you know what.... It's ok. We are human and we must understand in those times we have to turn to God and realize that we must strive to do better the next time, God knows our heart. As I drove last Friday I began to pray and the more I prayed the more the anger seemed to subside. It took a little longer than I had hoped but it is something I must continually work on.



Last night as we were driving home from Terre Haute I had a phone call. It was an aggravating phone call but I handled it as best as I could think to. After I hung up Ed said boy Christy you handled that well. A while back you would have told him what an idiot he was. Aimee kinda chuckled at this I think! I said well you know when it is something you can't control, it isn't worth it to get all mad because you can't change it and I would just make myself miserable. I hope in that moment it was a life lesson for Aimee because the call had to deal with something she had her hopes up for but didn't pan out.



Life is full of disappointment and it's how we react to it that counts. What are the things in life that get you to react in an ungodly way???



As my dear dear friend Annette said "In the total picture of like it doesn't matter" (this was to the phone call) and she was right.

2 comments:

Keyly Watts said...

Christy ~ When our apple cart gets disturbed and the old common reaction is given, we must (as you did) stop and take notice. Before I had a relationship with Christ, I didn't even know it was happening until I was at complete meltdown. I am so thankful HE opens my eyes to my many short comings, with quick temper being one for me. Thank you for sharing this witness with us today. In witnessing, it let's people know; "Hey I'm not perfect, just forgiven" - - - and everyone is worthy of His forgiveness.

Lauren said...

I like that quote by Annette. We should a daily Annette quote.