Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Feel the Heat

As I left work Monday it was hot, I mean HOT. Sweating in places you shouldn't hot, fanning yourself with your church bulletin when being convicted hot. As I drove on, I thought geez o pete is this what a hot flash feels like?? What is going on...



It was then that I realized that the air in the loaner car wasn't working. Let me tell you, I had a 3 year old temper tantrum. I may have even thrown myself on the floor if I hadn't been driving. The more I drove the more I got mad.



How ridiculous....



About half way home I had that mental smack in the head in Jesus name. You know the one I'm talking about. The one when you realize how stupid you are acting.



Yep, I then sat & thought how spoiled I was. There are kids in Uganda starving, with little medical treatment. People in Darfur being tortured & murdered, people in China being persecuted for being a Christian. As these thoughts flooded my mind I felt ashamed that I was mad about something so trivial.



I began to really feel that all too much my human condition gets in my way of being in God's company. Why did I let something so silly like that take me from the throne of God?? Because folks all too often we get caught up in "things". Things that, let's face it, don't really matter. So what that I didn't have air conditioning. I live in a land where I can get my Bible out & read it and not worry about being thrown in jail for it. I live in a place where we have an adundance of food & adequate health care.



A few years back I went on a mission trip to Mexico. It opened my eyes but too soon I got back in the groove of taking things for granted. That's for another post!!!



Luke 11:39-41 says "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but the inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? But give what is inside the dish to the poor & everything will be clean for you."

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Amen Sista!!! Thanks for the early morning conviction.... could have let me finish my coffee first. :)

Susan said...

I guess that means I need to get over my sunroof issue??? Darn. It was so much easier when you are a car snob right there beside me! Really though, something I needed to hear.

Lauren said...

I like fanning with the bulletin hot line. That was genius.