Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Well, it has been a very eventful week or so. I knew that Aimee's senior year would be packed full of "stuff", but I never predicted it would be surgery.


Poor girl. Most everyone knows that she has had problems with her shoulder. It has, now, dislocated 3 times. The latest in her basketball game this past Friday against Loogootee. When I heard her scream I knew THAT scream. I'd heard it before. I knew her shoulder was out. The concerning thing to me was that she was wearing her Sully Brace, & didn't really overextend her arm & it popped out again. The first thing in her mind were the words Dr. Love had spoken last year when she partially dislocated it. "Next time it happens you will need surgery".


I am thankful that Will Walker was there at the game Friday. The first one, he said, that he has been to in 10 years. He is the nurse practitoner that she sees at Norris & Love's office more than Dr. Love actually. He came down to the trainer room after Ed & Andy Burkhardt carried her off the floor. He got her Sully Brace off, looked at it & popped it back in. Now the last time she had to have this done it was at Salem Hospital when she was 14. They gave her an IV & pain meds & had her sit for about 30 minutes before they would put it back in place. Will called in some pain meds for her & told us to come to the office on Monday.


As bad as it was when she was 14 to have her mom dress her, fix her hair, & other things that she would rather me not discuss I'm sure. It's probably much worse as an 18 year old. The good thing for me is she slept with me, which put Ed on the couch but, I loved it!


We were in the doctor office yesterday for about 4 hours. Will came in & saw us & then said "I didn't want to tell you this Friday night but I had never put one back in". Aimee & I just laughed & told him how thankful we are that he was there. Dr. Love came in, didn't even examine her, sat down & said well here we are again. Then he reminded us of what he had said last year. He said xrays won't do good at this point but said he wanted a MRI done & said surgery is what he recommends, as soon as next week. We were expecting that but the next part we weren't. He said that at 3 months her arm would be starting to feel better but that 6 months is the target date to be fully released. I saw her mentally adding up the months, when she turned to me & said but that's June... What about softball? It broke my heart, missing her senior year of basketball was bad but softball was devastating to her. She had the MRI at 1230, we will know final information of what exactly they plan to do by noon tomorrow if not before.


While this is a blow to her, she also knows it's best to fix it now. We are so blessed with friends & family that stopped what they were doing to pray & offer assistance. Friday night Andy Burkhardt, Jason Hennette, & Sandy Hovis jumped right in & helped & for that we are thankful. So many others offered help & said prayers, for that we are truly thankful. She has a long road ahead of her but we will make it through.


Tonight I plan on spending some time with Cole, as he has been some neglected in the past few days!!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

praying for her--thankful for people at the right place and right time.