Saturday, August 7, 2010

Who's in charge?

I read this devotional today & thought I'd pass it along.


The plans of the mind belong to mortals, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD. All one's ways may be pure in one's own eyes, but the LORD weighs the spirit. Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established.
-Proverbs 16:1-3 (NRSV)

Today's Scripture
Cast all your anxiety on [God], because he cares for you.
-1 Peter 5:7 (NRSV)


ON my patio, where I say my morning prayers and study my Bible, is a white director's chair. Written on it in big red letters, are the words "God Is the Director." I had the chair made because I wanted to see the message as a daily reminder.I tend to forget that God is the one in charge.

As a wife and mother, I sometimes want to direct my husband and my children. As an employee, I often think I know better than my boss. I disagree with people, neighbors, and politicians. Trying to be the director destroys my peace. While I sometimes have the right or the duty to express my ideas, I can't make anyone act on them.

My chair reminds me to give all my cares and concerns to God. God is not only my director but the director of all our lives. God is running the show, not us.Daily, I ask God for my script. I don't worry about the parts other people are playing. I let God direct them. I tell God my concerns, and I ask what God wants me to do. Most of the time, God tells me to let go.

When I'm the director, the show doesn't always turn out well. Letting God be the director insures the best for everyone.

1 comment:

Keyly Watts said...

good thoughts Christy!!! Maybe I need to get a director's chair too . . . maybe I need to have director's wallpaper made!!!